edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu]my thoughts (long)

From: Susan Stewart
Subject: Re: [edu-eu]my thoughts (long)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 20:31:34 -0600

Anyone have any thoughts about which hierarchy it might be best to form this
group under?  The three options I'm currently considering are:

gnu.* hierarchy... possibly name it gnu.edu... this would be concise, logical,
and a logical place to look for us.  On the down side, though, many servers
don't carry the gnu.* hierarchy, and placing the group there would mean that
the moderators would have to limit posts fairly strictly to those dealing
with free software specifically.

linux.* hierarchy... this is more widely available than the gnu.* hierarchy
and would allow discussion on a broader level, including the discussion of
non-free and free software that often work together.  However, discussion of
systems using GNU Hurd would be considered off topic.

comp.* hierarchy... if we place the group properly, we could make the
discussion as broad as we like.  Also, as part of the big 8, the comp.*
hierarchy is as widely available on the web as anything we could hope for.
The only real drawback that I see is that there is a little more red tape
involved in creating under the big 8 hierarchies, which I'm told to expect
will take 3-4 months.  However, I have no qualms about doing it if that is
the general consensus among the folks I talk to.

So, what would you name a newsgroup created to provide a forum for educators
to discuss the role that free software plays in the classroom, including the
non-free software that interacts with it?

Susan