edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] Open tablet? - Re: Edu-EU Digest, Vol 45, Issue 5

From: Aleix Pol
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] Open tablet? - Re: Edu-EU Digest, Vol 45, Issue 5
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 11:45:03 +0100

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Michael Kesper <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 04:46:48PM +0100, Michael wrote:
>> Am 29.02.2012 11:39, schrieb Daniel Rohde-Kage:
>> > "...the federal state of Niedersachsen/Germany has started a tablet
>> > project in and for schools.
>
> OK. So we're speaking about tablets. No raspberry pi, no X0, no whatever.
>
>> A "Tablet" is not for education
>> A "Tablet" is to play (or watch videos)
>
> I see that different:
> A tablet is an ebook reader with additional features.
Well, personally I consider it a device you can interact with. What
you do with it depends exclusively on the software you put in.

>> I think: Every student needs a keybord and a (root) shell (or a free
>> software system to studi). no toy
>
> Should be easy to connect it with a bluetooth keyboard, even standard USB
> keyboard if your device has USB host capabilities.
>
> BUT to really __get things done__, I agree with you that there should be
> the possibility to use something like OOo/LibreOffice/KOffice.
> This could be a selling point of KDE plasma IMHO.
> Is something like this possible?
It's not only possible but we're getting there. Calligra (long story
short, new version of KOffice) has been ported to different devices
already, starting with the N9. It will definitely work on Spark, let's
see if we can make it useful in a tablet.

> I don't know enough yet about the Ubuntu for Android [0] project to tell
> whether that could be an alternative.
>
> The hardware of the spark seems not to be high-end, though. :(
> You should get in touch with the Plasma Active team to find the __most
> attractive__ hardware (NB: the spark is the first hw to be able to buy
> pre-installed for consumers, but we're talking not about consumers here).
> If the software is good, but the screen (or something else) is shitty,
> you're not going to convince anybody!
As far as I know, this Spark device is just an early adopters device,
In the future better hardware will happen. [1]