edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] Open tablet --- Edu-EU Digest, Vol 46, Issue 1

From: Daniel Rohde-Kage
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] Open tablet --- Edu-EU Digest, Vol 46, Issue 1
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 12:53:40 +0100

Hello to all of you,

the fundamental discussion about tablets in schools has to be made. But I try to hide my displeasure over remarks here, ignoring the multimedial possibilities of digital systems like tablet-pcs. I don't understand the educational sense of hacking a digital camera, a gps, a hi-end-speaker-system, a screen, a gyrometer, a keyboard, a microphone, a surface for painting, a video camera, a computer, a system with thousands of useful software for creating contents.... But I do have hundreds of didactical ideas what to do with all these features of a tablet.

But it is a difference whether you joining a process or criticize it. Just for me it is watching Apple taken over the special and sensible section in life: education!
This is taking place right now in Germany, and not only me would like to offer schools an alternative to the (wonderful designed, perfect working, good-looking, sensational easy-to-use and horrible closed) Ipad and the well-organized and perfectly managed and horrible closed-minded Apple e-book-campaign.

I need help to do this. There is hardware (maybe 'Spark'), there is an open OS (for example the great KDE Plasma Active).
Now: there is some open software (which one is usable on tablets?),where is support (for non IT-professional-companies like schools are), how can we manage marketing?

I eagerly await the published official terms of contracts (http://www.mk.niedersachsen.de/portal/live.php?navigation_id=26328&article_id=6525&_psmand=8), which should be published today.

Daniel