Re: [emacs-bidi] Speed of logical-to-visual conversion

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Speed of logical-to-visual conversion
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 21:42:29 +0330 (IRT)

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Does someone have an idea, or perhaps even measurements, of how fast
> are the existing imlpementation of UTR#9?  For examlpe, how much
> slower are they relative to "sed -e ''" for the same file on the same
> machine?

Well, I just tested it, with latest fribidi, on a RedHat Linux 7.1
machine, with the fribidi utility, and a 20mb persian file, that
beside persian (arabic) letters, contains a little english, some
punctuation marks, lots of non-spacing marks, and no explicit marks,
the results was that it was 19 times slower than "sed -d ''", sed took
0.485s while fribidi took 9.7s, I will try it with compiling fribidi
with -O3 later too.

> FWIW, a preliminary version of my sequential implementation was
> measured to be about 25 times slower than Sed.

Yours,
--
Behdad
17 Mehr 1380, 2001 Oct 9