Re: [emacs-bidi] Speed of logical-to-visual conversion

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Speed of logical-to-visual conversion
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:33:34 +0330 (IRT)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Btw, do you have any evidence that the speed depends on whether R2L
> characters are present in the text?  I'd guess that the dependence
> should be very weak, since, assuming a straightforward implementation
> of UTR#9, the amount of operations does not change too much.

Well, the speed for determining the bidi levels is linear to the
number of runs, a run is a maximal substring with all chars of same
bidi type, and reordering is somehow more time consuming, a character
on level i, is reordered i times, I have some plans to speed up
reordering, but this is the current state, it means when you run
fribidi_benchmark, its about three times slower for a string full of
explicit bidi marks (without the iconv overhead).

--
Behdad
18 Mehr 1380, 2001 Oct 10

[Finger for Geek Code]