Re: [emacs-bidi] Embedding levels of formatting codes

From: Roozbeh Pournader
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Embedding levels of formatting codes
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:23:45 +0330 (IRT)

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> In the short and not very clearly written section of UTR#9 where it
> gives recommendations for when the codes are not removed, it says
> this:
>
>   * In rule X9, instead of removing the format codes, assign the embedding
>     level to each embedding character, and turn it into BN.
>   * In rule X10, assign L or R to the last of a sequence of adjacent BNs
>     according to the eor / sor, and set the level to the higher of the
>     two levels.
>
> Now, what in the world do they mean by that??  Does anyone have a clue
> and can explain this in small words?

Just adding to Behdad's notes, it is not promised that this produces the
same results as the other method in the algorithm. This section is just
informative, and has not been tested by any implementor outside
Unicode.Org. Also, they have a bad record with their previous text, which
came out to have a bug. I won't recommend implementing something based on
this section. A good way should be something like FriBidi has implemented.

roozbeh