Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew characters categories

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Hebrew characters categories
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:47:55 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) wrote:

> Yes, but we want to detect and handle collisions. I'm not sure that we
> want to relay on the font designer.

I'm not sure: Emacs is not a typesetter, it's a text editor.  So the
display it produces doesn't need to be pedantically correct, just
reasonably readable by someone who knows the language.  Likewise, it is
not unreasonable to expect a good font design, and produce a somewhat
ugly display if it isn't.

Complicating the Hebrew display or making it much slower, due to these
problems, seems like a lot to pay better looks.  IMHO, of course.