Re: [emacs-bidi] sample text, please

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] sample text, please
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:03:38 +0200

TAKAHASHI Naoto <address@hidden> writes:

> Does anybody know who prepared the following page?
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DisplayEngineForArabic

I did.  The screenshot URL was posted to this list.

> The snapshot has a copyright problem: the displayed sentences are
> taken from a commercial textbook without any modification.  I am
> sorry, but I had to remove the URL pointing the png file.  If you send
> me copyright free Arabic or Persian sentences, e.g. classical poems or
> U.N. statements, encoded in UTF-8, I will prepare a new spapshot.

I am not a lawyer.  But if you ask me, this is not a problem.  This is
less than 300 words, it could be considered "fair use".  The wiki page
contained a URL which was published before (on this mailing list, I
think, and therefore available via the web from the archives), all the
script did was inline the picture from the web.  So if somebody tried
to sue you, it would be a long and difficult problem.  What the
copyright holders would probably do is a) ask you to take it down and
maybe perhaps who knows b) try to sue you for lost revenue.  But then
again, that requires them to prove the lost revenue due to that
picture.  Again, this would certainly not be worth their money.
Anyway, just to reassure you somewhat.  :)

> By the way, Kenichi Handa and I have got permission from our institute
> to release the code mentioned above.  I am writing a README file and
> preparing patches.  Some more patience, please.

So I heard on emacs-devel.  As RMS said: "Hooray!"  :)

Alex.
--
http://www.electronicintifada.net/diaries/index.html
http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/US-Israel/hr2506c.html