Re: [emacs-bidi] sample text, please

From: TAKAHASHI Naoto
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] sample text, please
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:37:08 +0900 (JST)

Alex Schroeder writes:

>>   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DisplayEngineForArabic

> I did.  The screenshot URL was posted to this list.

Yes, I posted it.  I wanted to let the members in this list know what
we are doing.  On the other hand, I did not expected it was put on a
web page.  No offense.

> I am not a lawyer.  But if you ask me, this is not a problem.  This is
> less than 300 words, it could be considered "fair use".

The Japanese law requests to clearly indicate the source of the quoted
material, even for "fair use".  The screenshot did not.  What is
worth, the screenshot reproduced "an entire page" of the original book
even though it was less than 300 words.  (Remember, it was an
elementary textbook.)  I am not sure whether reproducing an entire
page is considered "fair use" under Japanese laws.

> So if somebody tried
> to sue you, it would be a long and difficult problem.

I believe (or I hope) nobody will sue me, but anyway, having a
screenshot of classical literature or a lofty statement is much more
interesting than having a screenshot of "Hello!  How are you?", isn't
it?

--
TAKAHASHI Naoto
address@hidden