Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: RTL support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: RTL support
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:01:01 +0200

> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:21:12 -0600
> From: Gregg Reynolds <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Well ok then!  Practical stuff!  (Oh, yeah, point 3:  advocating
> mono-directional RTL support != anti-bidi.)  How do we get it into the
> main branch?

It's a simple matter of writing the code and posting it to
address@hidden  Since this is going to be a non-trivial amount
of code, you will need to sign legal papers that assign the copyright
to the FSF (write to Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, and he will send
you the appropriate forms that you will need to fill and snail to the
FSF).

> Is it simply a matter of thorough testing?

It is a matter of clean coding, first and foremost.  If the code
worked for you reasonably well, and if this feature is optional,
i.e. it can be switched off with a flip of a user variable (and thus
stop getting in one's way if it's buggy), it will be accepted.

> Do we need some kind of test harness, lots of test cases?

There's no test harness in Emacs right now.  (It's a long story.)  So
you don't need to bother, just be sure it works okay for you.

> Will the bidi branch work on MSWindows?

Sure, why not?

> I'm afraid the vast majority of RTL people (at least in the Arab
> world) use Windows

``Majority'', maybe; but ``vast majority'', I'm not sure anymore,
since GNU/Linux systems have a reasonably good bidi support these
days.

> What about code review?  Do you need Arabic speakers to take look?

Let's start with those who read this list and address@hidden
That should be enough for starters.

TIA