[emacs-bidi] Re: Callbacks?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Re: Callbacks?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:16:10 +0200

> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:20:13 +0900
> From: Martin Duerst <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Here's yet another question re. your implementation:
>
> At the last Internationalization and Unicode Conference,
> I presented a paper that looked at the problems of displaying
> (X)HTML or XML with bidi text.
> (http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2005/pub/IUC28-bidi/IUC28.html,
> see also http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2005/pub/IUC28-bidi/
> for more pointers)
>
> Around August, we had an extensive discussion with Ken'ichi
> and Naoto in Tokyo, and came to the conclusion that it should
> probably be possible to implement this approach in emacs using
> the bidi version at http://www.m17n.org/emacs-bidi/.
>
> I'd like to know your oppinion on whether this might also be
> possible with your version (the ``other ongoing attempt''
> above). What's necessary is either that your algorithm looks
> at some well-known character properties that e.g. a mode for
> a particular document format could set, or that it provides
> callbacks. There may of course be also other ways to do this.

I've read the page you cite above, and I'm sorry to say that I don't
have a clear idea what are you asking.  The Web page seems to say that
one can use RLM, LRM, and the embedding marks provided by UAX#9 to
force correct display of source files for XML and similar files.  Is
that what the paper says, or did I miss something?

If I understood correctly, there's no need to implement anything in
addition to the code I wrote: it includes full support for all the
special characters mandated by UAX#9, and also fully supports
embeddings.

As for ``callbacks'', what do you need those for, and how can they
solve your problem (which I probably don't understand)?