Re: [emacs-bidi] state of BIDI within stable GNU emacs (UTF8) nikud

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] state of BIDI within stable GNU emacs (UTF8) nikud
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:55:26 +0200

> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:32:20 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > Turns out that function "bidi_dump_cached_states" in bidi.c prints to
> > stderr, but stdio is only included #ifdef TEST_STANDALONE.  Since the
> > function doesn't seem to be used, I just #if 0'ed it out and "make
> > bootstrap" succeeded.
>
> I'd prefer a cleaner solution, one that doesn't disable the standalone
> configuration.  How about if stdio was included unconditionally? it
> cannot hurt, I think.

I took a look at the code and it came back to me: The reason
bidi_dump_cached_states function appears to be unused is because it's
supposed to be called from within GDB, whenever you are debugging the
algorithm and want to see its internal state at some arbitrary point.
So including stdio.h unconditionally would be a good solution, since
this function could be useful for debugging the algorithm inside Emacs
as well.

TIA