[emacs-bidi] Re: Callbacks?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Re: Callbacks?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:03:53 +0200

> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:22:53 +0900
> From: Martin Duerst <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> So in a very short summary, what we are looking for is
> the ability to say things like "treat this character as
> strong right-to-left" or "treat the sequence of characters
> from here to here as an [RTL/LTR] embedding", and so on,
> without putting the Unicode bidi marks into the buffer.

I'm not sure we should look for private solutions to this problem.
Editing of such files is not a unique Emacs problem, so someone,
somewhere will invent a solution that the Unicode people will adopt.
That's what we should implement, when that happens.

That said, this is Emacs we are talking about; all the relevant
character properties are loaded into internal data structures, so
there should be no problem, in principle, to fiddle with them for a
particular mode.

In any case, the solution for such obscure problems is far, far away
for Emacs.  For now, I'd be happy if we could edit simple text files.

>  >As for ``callbacks'', what do you need those for, and how can they
>  >solve your problem (which I probably don't understand)?
>
> Well, a typical example would be a callback that checks whether
> the user (or the mode used,...) thinks that a character should
> have a different bidi character class than assigned by the
> Unicode character database.

That's not needed: a user could modify the character property tables
with a bunch of Lisp code.