Re: [emacs-bidi] state of BIDI within stable GNU emacs (UTF8)nikud

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] state of BIDI within stable GNU emacs (UTF8)nikud
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:52:04 +0200

> Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 18:14:13 +0900
> From: Martin Duerst <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> At 05:48 05/12/01, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>  >So some real debugging is, in fact, in order.  The good news are that
>  >the bidi reordering code is not invoked unless you turn on the bidi
>  >display flag (the buffer-specific variable enable-bidi-display, which
>  >is nil by default).
>
> Okay, from your explanations, it sounds as if the following
> would work: Do some edits with enable-bidi-display nil, then
> switch that on to trigger display, then switch it off again,
> and continue editing.

No, what I meant was that, should some grave bugs be uncovered that
could cause you lose work, you could use the editor with the bidi
display flag switched off until the bug is fixed or until you save
your work and exit (whichever happens first).

> Also, have you considered calling whatever corrresponds to
> cntl-L internally instead of abort when you find an inconsistent
> situation, or log that inconsistency in some kind of 'dump'?

It's not clear to me that C-l will fix the display, but that's one
known way of dealing with display problems.

However, the calls to `abort' are intentional: they make sure that
bugs will not go unnoticed.  As I wrote, Emacs will autosave before it
dies.