Re: movemail problems

From: Gerd Moellmann
Subject: Re: movemail problems
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:28:53 +0100 (CET)

(I've replaced emacs-pretesters with emacs-devel in the CC; I think
some of the pretesters said they dislike too much traffic on that list.)

address@hidden (Trond Eivind GlomsrØd) writes:

> Gerd Moellmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > address@hidden (Trond Eivind GlomsrØd) writes:
> >
> > > Emacs 21.0.91 builds just fine under Red Hat Linux 7 (w/glibc 2.2
> > > final)
> > >
> > > Some problems:
> > >
> > > 1) movemail has problems:
> > >    "movemail: Invalid argument for /home/devel/teg/Mail/sorted/gdb.prcm
> > > (1 return) locking files"
> > >    (I use procmail to sort mail into these files, and gnus then moves
> > >    these into approriate nnml folders later on)
> > >    CFLAGS used: -O2 -march=pentiumpro -DMAIL_USE_LOCKF
> > >    Using the movemail from emacs 20, compiled the same way, works just
> > > fine
> >
> > Hm, I can't see any obvious change in the sources that would cause
> > this.  I can't even find who prints that error message.  Could you
> > please run movemail under GDB and see what is going on?
>
> What's the best way of doing that? I've tried stracing the emacs
> process, which returns this (it forks where I can't follow):
>
> 10969 read(5, "movemail: ", 16384)      = 10
> 10969 read(5, "Invalid argument for /home/devel"..., 16374) = 62
>
> Copying back the old movemail immediately solves the problem... some
> different switches, where gnus is trying a bad one? It handles the
> error itself, so I don't enter the emacs debugger.

I can't find any difference in switches.  Could it be that the new
default of --with-pop plays a role (see etc/NEWS?).

I think what Eli proposed is a good way.