Terminal mode line color

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Terminal mode line color
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 07:36:54 -0500

Hi,

  I have an Emacs 21 build from a couple days ago, and I found a
problem while setting the color of the mode line in terminal mode.
I execute this simple command in my .emacs file:

    (set-face-background 'mode-line "green")

and when emacs starts in terminal mode, it is green.  As soon as the
splash screen goes away, the mode line changes back to unspecified.
This is true for all my terminal color settings.

This behavior first started from a CVS build of mine a week before the
first pretest.

Any thoughts?
Eric

------------ My full terminal settings file ----------------
;;; Eric's terminal settings for Emacs 21

(if window-system
    nil
  (if (not (facep 'mode-line))
      nil
    ;; We now know that we are in a terminal running Emacs 21.

    ;(fix-backspace)

    (set-face-background 'mode-line "green")
    (set-face-background 'header-line "green")
    (set-face-foreground 'show-paren-match-face "blue")

    ;; In terminal mode, the menu is inverted.
    (set-face-foreground 'menu "blue")
    (set-face-background 'menu "yellow")

    ;; Fix fringe, even though I don't think it's used.
    (set-face-foreground 'fringe "black")

    ;; Italics can't be seen.  Make them yellow.
    (set-face-foreground 'italic "yellow")
    (set-face-foreground 'bold-italic "yellow")

    ))

(defun post-newemacs ()
  (interactive)
  ;(blink-cursor-mode -1)
  (set-face-background 'mode-line "green"))