Re: Emacs 21 on AIX 4.3

From: Tak Ota
Subject: Re: Emacs 21 on AIX 4.3
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:27:58 -0700 (PDT)

On 26 Jun 2001 20:55:17 +0100, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:

> Another way you could try these features without leaving Windows, is
> to help implement them in the native Windows build of Emacs.

That is another thing I'd like to help and see it realized.  I like
NTEmacs and it is probably the most efficient way of having GNU Emacs
on an NT box.

> I suspect your current route will be a lot more work than you
> realize,

This is what I don't understand.  Maybe it is because of my ignorance.
For example I have downloaded off the net some X window managers.
With a little modification I could compile and run them successfully
on Cygwin XFree86 environment.  Please educate me what I am missing
here.

> and may also end up in slow motion.

Those X application I tried on Cygwin XFree86 run at least faster than
on VMware.  I understand it will never beat NTEmacs but that is not
the purpose.  Let me restate this, NTEmacs's value never decreases by
porting Emacs as Cygwin X client.  There is no competition between
them.  What NTEmacs can't provide is, for example, running full Emacs
from a telnet session on another NT box.

-Tak