Re: Customize fringe widths

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Customize fringe widths
Date: 20 Nov 2001 22:14:56 +0100

> > We should avoid adding useless generality just because we can.

On the other hand, we shouldn't reject generality if doing things
less generally is a lot more work...

Actually, I don't see a great need to support the text-mode truncation
glyphs on X.  I would think that removing the fringe on X is an option
which will be used on special purpose frames (e.g. speedbar or ediff),
not something users would do in general.

> The major effort in this particular case is to enable text-mode
> continuation and truncation glyphs on X.  That is the effort not
> directly related to what Kim is working on.  My suggestion was
> intended to make it easier for Kim to concentrate on what he was
> doing instead of embarking on a much larger project.  It so happened
> that my suggestion was also more general, but that wasn't its primary
> motivation.
>
> In other words, I think what I suggested helps _avoid_ unnecessary
> complexity, not adds it.

I can confirm that!