Re: Idea for bootstrapping

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Idea for bootstrapping
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:34:39 -0700 (MST)

    Isn't it possible to do the followings?
    (1) start temacs
    (2) set pureify-flag to nil
    (3) load all files (*.el) that are necessary to
    byte-compile bytecomp.el and its subsidiaries.

This means those files would be running interpreted.

    (4) byte-compile bytecomp.el and its subsidiaries.
    (5) load bytecomp.elc etc
    (6) byte-compile all the other files

Those files would still be running interpreted.
That is the problem I am trying to solve.

    Then, we don't have to dump Emacs twice.

Yes, but it fails to solve the problem.

Dumping Emacs is fast compared with all the things that are done using
the Emacs that was dumped.  Redumping a faster Emacs could be a big
speedup.