Re[2]: Proposal: C-h C-a => apropos

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[2]: Proposal: C-h C-a => apropos
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:35:43 -0500

>>> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) seems to think that:
>Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> > C-h a runs apropos-command which is nice for the average user.
>> > However, I use M-x apropos 9 out of 10 times, so I would like
>> > a default binding for that as well.  I suggest C-h C-a
>>
>> I use C-h o (it's more in line with C-h a).
>
>Well, it could be in line with its own group of commands
>
>C-h C-a => apropos
>C-h C-v => apropos-variable
>C-h C-u => apropos-value
>C-h C-s => apropos-documentation
  [ ... ]

Some major modes are getting pretty sophisticated, and may like room
om the C-h keymap for providing their own help.  `tags-apropos' comes
to mind as a simple example.

I handle a mode for Matlab and it is useful to do C-h C-m a, to apropos
Matlab symbols, or C-h C-m v to describe a Matlab built in variable.
If the C-h map is being dished out, we should consider granting a
chunk to major modes so they can provide similar language specific
help, and initializing it with `tags-apropos' might be a good start
for those modes to build from.

Of course, I'm secretly thinking of taking advantage of any such
addition with my semantic tools. ;)
Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                 address@hidden, address@hidden