Re: Tabs in header line

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Tabs in header line
Date: 21 Dec 2001 17:28:24 +0000

 > do you remember our discussion about tabs (see archives, the
 > subject was idea -> internal frames)? One of the ideas was to use
 > header-line for this purpose.

You can't really use the header line to do the job of a typical GUI
tabs feature because the latter normally isn't per-buffer.  While you
could probably arrange to shuffle `the' tab header line to the top
window, doing that would clobber existing, mode-specific headers,
e.g. the one W3 should have (but currently doesn't as far as I know).

 > P.S. What do you think about w3m? Bill?

w3m is quite nice, and provides an interesting hack which helps with
an Emacs interface specifically, but it doesn't do the full job W3
does.  It does all the formatting itself, producing basically fixed
tty output.

When I last looked, ironically w3m couldn't deal properly with
arbitrary encodings of web pages under Emacs; I don't remember whether
the deficiency was in w3m itself or the Emacs interface.