Re: Proposal: Remap interactive commands via keymaps

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proposal: Remap interactive commands via keymaps
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:13:46 -0700 (MST)

    One of the goals was that all interactive commands should be remapped,
    so the proper place to do the actual remapping would be in
call-interactively.

I don't agree--I think that call-interactively should not do this.

I am convinced that the remapping of commands should NOT apply
to command names that you specify with M-x.  Please consider that
a closed question.

This remapping feature should be associated with keymap lookup,
not with running a command.

    However, I found that this has the unfortunate effect that the
    pre-command-hooks will be called with the original command in
    this-command - since command_loop_1 runs the pre-command-hooks
    before the call to Fcommand_execute :-(

    To avoid this inconsistency, the remapping should really happen
    in command_loop_1 before running the pre-command-hooks.

I think that is the only place it should happen.

    When I do, `M-x actual-command', the pre-command-hooks are run with
    this-command set to `execute-extended-command' rather than
    `actual-command'.  So in this case, the pre-command-hooks are
    not run at all for the actual commands when M-x is used.

This is ok, because they are run before the M-x command itself.
And before the RET that terminates the minibuffer and leads
to execution of the specified command.

    I would therefore suggest that when M-x is used, the execution of the
    pre-command-hook is postponed until the actual command has been read.

I don't see a need for this change.