Re: Emacs is consing like mad

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Emacs is consing like mad
Date: 09 Jan 2002 00:15:20 +0000

 > I have found the culprit: it was Mule-UCS.

The change I made a while ago to register-char-codings makes my
(non-default) configuration of Mule-UCS very slow to load.  It
probably needs himi to say why exactly, but that function is probably
called at least once for each base coding system defined. (It doesn't
strictly need to be, since all the utf variants encode the same
characters, but you'd have to subvert make-coding-system to avoid it.)

The change was due to a problem exposed by Mule-UCS, but if I made any
design choices, they were for more usual applications.  Maybe someone
can re-write it more efficiently for such a case if they understand
the issues, but the Mule list already had the chance and it's somewhat
tricky to get right and please don't clobber more normal cases.  handa
may want to comment further.

[For general info: people who don't need to edit CJK probably don't
need Mule-UCS.  A straightforward enhancement to CCL (hash table
support) could make Mule-UCS redundant for normal Unicode editing, but
I'm planning to implement straight support for at least the BMP
first.]