Re: Save Options vs. default-input-method

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Save Options vs. default-input-method
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:23:52 +0100

address@hidden (Pavel Janík) writes:

>    From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>    Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 02:27:30 -0700 (MST)
>
>    > I think the right fix is to change customize-save-variable so that
>    > it does not set the variable at all, and eliminate the VALUE argument.

That would make it identical to customize-save-all.

I don't think customize-save-variable should be changed, the Options
menu is simply abusing it.  It is not intended for such use.

> Per said he will look into it.

I did?

I offered two options, one is to reuse the existing customize mechanism
for setting variables (customize-set-variable) and saving variables
that have been set (customize-save-customized).  This will make the
options menu simply an alternative user interface for customize.

The other would be to fix menu-bar-options-save to do what I suspect
it is intended to do, i.e. just save the current values of the options
in the options menu.  This will make the options menu more independent
of the customize package, apart from saving.

I don't know how these apply to default-input-method in particular.

I'd prefer the first option, but I can do either.  So please tell me
what to do.