Re: Save Options vs. default-input-method

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Save Options vs. default-input-method
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 05:48:13 -0700 (MST)

    >    > I think the right fix is to change customize-save-variable so that
    >    > it does not set the variable at all, and eliminate the VALUE
argument.

    That would make it identical to customize-save-all.

I can't find any customize-save-all in the sources, and I don't see
any function which is like customize-save-variable but without setting
the value.

    I don't think customize-save-variable should be changed, the Options
    menu is simply abusing it.  It is not intended for such use.

What use is it intended for?  I think this change in
customize-save-variable would be logical, and make it both more useful
and more natural.

But I think you are right that it is not the proper method to use for
this purpose, for the following reason:

    The other would be to fix menu-bar-options-save to do what I suspect
    it is intended to do, i.e. just save the current values of the options
    in the options menu.

I think it is clear that it should only save the menu bar options,
so that is the best solution.