Re: lost argument and doc string

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: lost argument and doc string
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:37:43 -0700 (MST)

    > I don't know much about how make-docfile operates
    > but it obviously expects some .elc files instead of .el files.

    Could you please see why is this so?  Is it perhaps an issue with
    binary vs text reads?

As I recall, the args to make-docfile are names of .elc files
but make-docfile actually reads the source files instead.

I think the reason for this was that src/Makefile needs to have
a list of those .elc files for some other reason.
This avoids the need to have two parallel lists,
one of .el files and one of .elc files.
GNU Make could transform one of those lists into the other
but we don't want to require use of GNU Make.