Re: unbind the paste functionality of the middle mouse button

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: unbind the paste functionality of the middle mouse button
Date: 19 Feb 2002 23:56:06 +0100

>     It worked very well, but didn't make it into the release (it was
>     rejected because it didn't add generic mouse-wheel support -- only
>     solved this specific problem).
>
> I am not sure what that means.  What precisely didn't it add?  What
> more is needed to make it a good thing to install?

The change I made was pretty low-level and for X only.

Its sole purpose was to avoid stray mouse-2 events during scrolling
with the mouse.

It allowed you to specify what buttons correspond to the "mouse
wheel", e.g. mouse-4 and mouse-5 and what button is associated with
the wheel, e.g. mouse-2.  It would then block mouse-2 for 200 ms (or so)
after receiving a mouse-4 or mouse-5 event.

The emacs developers didn't want a fix at this level -- they preferred
adding mouse-wheel support to X (similar to the w32 mouse-wheel support).

Since noone has done that (yet), the original problem persists...