Re: [mew-int 00737] Re: (no subject)

From: 山本和彦
Subject: Re: [mew-int 00737] Re: (no subject)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:11:29 +0900 (JST)

From: Tak Ota <address@hidden>
Subject: [mew-int 00737] Re: (no subject)

> Therefore many buffers in Mew sets ctext-unix as the default coding
> system.  However, I have no idea how this decision was made.

Yes, this is intentional.

Ctext is only character set which can conver ISO-2022 related
character sets and ISO-8859-1.

If we use US-ASCII and 8bit portion of ctext, this is identical to
ISO-8859-1. This is friendly to non-mule EMacs, Emacs --unibyte for
example.

Of course, Emacs (--multibyte) can read ctext.

So, to my best knowledge, ctext is only the character set which can
survive in the old Emacs world and the multilingual Emacs world.

Since Mew uses the CR character as a separator in Summary mode (for
historical reasons:: selective-display was used), ctext-unix is
necessary. (CR MUST not be converted to LF).

What I can say is as follows:

(1) Since selective-display is not used anymore, another separator
rather than CR can be used. ctext will be sufficient.

(2) Even if we continue to use CR, ctext-unix is necessary only for
    Summary mode. ctext is enough for other buffers.

--Kazu