Re: ielm working buffer on the modeline

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: ielm working buffer on the modeline
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:37:45 +0100

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:27:48 +0100, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:

> Buffer names can be quite large, the one I'm currently typing in is named
> "*wide reply to Juanma Barranquero*".

Well, yes, of course. But I'd like to know how many times you've used
IELM against such kind of buffer...

Perhaps my experience is more limited, but I use IELM quite a lot, and
to me its usage pattern is mainly twofold: as a quick way to test some
elisp code (where it is more responsive/practical that a lot of M-: or
M-x eval-expression), and as an aid in developing elisp modules (and
then usually the .el buffer or a few temporary test buffers are the
target).

Anyway, I just proposed that because I find it useful. If I'm the only
one, I can always do

(add-hook 'ielm-mode-hook
          '(lambda ()
              (setq mode-line-process
                    '(":" (:eval (buffer-name ielm-working-buffer))))))

on my .emacs :)

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u