Re: New session management patch.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New session management patch.
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:22:19 -0700 (MST)

    I didn't know about those.  I will use Vinvocation_name and
    Vinvocation_directory instead, it will simplify things.  Do I nead to GCPRO
    these before use?

GCPRO is used for local variables, not for global or static ones such as these.

    Yes and no as several has pointed out.  But since this will be done in a
much
    more simpler way, the code will be removed.  MAXPATHLEN is used in other
places
    in Emacs, like buffer.c and fileio.c, that is why I used it.

I see that MAXPATHLEN is used in fileio.c in DOS_NT conditionals.
Maybe on Muckrosoft systems that limit is a hard limit in the system;
if so, this code could be correct.  If not, it is a bug, and someone
might want to fix it, but I won't spend time on it myself.

In buffer.c it is used only when building Emacs, so it is no disaster.
On systems that had only getwd, there was no way to avoid this arbitrary
limit, but using the newer getcwd it is possible to avoid the limit.
It ought to get fixed, and that should not be too hard.