Re: struct.el -- a package to encode/decode binary data

From: Luke Gorrie
Subject: Re: struct.el -- a package to encode/decode binary data
Date: 19 Mar 2002 15:33:49 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I'd like to hear if something like this already exists, or if others
> find it should be added to emacs (with more complete documentation of
> course).  [Also, the struct-pack function doesn't work with nested
> data, but I'll fix that if there is an interest in this package].

I often write code like this and would be very keen on a nice generic
library.

e.g. I have a decoding/encoding module for a sexp-like binary format
at http://www.bluetail.com/~luke/misc/erlext.el - it's not generalised
and takes a different approach, but it's the same sort of code.

On a similar note, I've recently written a small framework for network
state machines in order non-blockingly support non-trivial protocols,
with trace/debug convenience and so on. A work in progress that uses
it is at http://www.bluetail.com/~luke/misc/distel.tar.gz if you're
interested. net-fsm.el is the state machine code, also downloadable by
itself at http://www.bluetail.com/~luke/misc/net-fsm.el (it includes
yet another small ad hoc binary encoding API).

Cheers,
Luke