Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/ChangeLog

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 19:09:06 +0200

   From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
   Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 16:21:21 -0700 (MST)

   > It might be a good idea to define play-sound so that it always fails
   > when sound support is not included.  That could be done in C or Lisp.
   > It is easy either way.  Want to do it?

I think that Eli's idea of renaming play-sound (now in C) to
play-sound-internal and just adding

  (unless (fboundp 'play-sound-internal)
     (error "This Emacs binary lacks sound support."))

at the beginning of real play-sound (which can be in Lisp after that) is
also good solution. What do you think?

   >     I can do that if you agree with this. I will also add
--with[out]-sound to
   >     configure.
   >
   > Is there a real practical benefit in having those options?  I don't
   > see it.  Why bother?

To test the above implementation? ;-) No, it does not have practical
benefit except for maniacs who are trying to make Emacs smaller. How do
you compile Emacs without sound support on the computer which has
soundcard.h and similar files? Yes, it is detail, but it will take
approx. 5 minutes of my time.
--
Pavel Janík

Use uniform input formats.
                  --  The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)