Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:54:45 -0600 (MDT)

    > I am surprised that the present facilities can't be used more easily.
    > Could you explain WHY you think this is necessary?  Perhaps there
    > is already a better way.

    I'm pretty confiden that there isn't a _better_ way already.

Would you please explain to me why not?
Before I agree that we need a new feature,
I want to make sure we have not overlooked an
existing good solution.  Please show the reasons
why (you believe) these 7 keymaps are the only way.

    E.g. for cua, I need to ensure that those 7 keymaps are in the front
    of minor-mode-map-alist after every command,

The first question is why you need 7 keymaps at all.  Why isn't one
enough?  Why can't one key binding for a given key sequence handle all
the various different circumstances, through conditionals in the code?