Re: TODO: insert-file should warn if the file is modified

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: TODO: insert-file should warn if the file is modified
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 01:46:50 -0600 (MDT)

It is very rare to have two buffers editing the same file, and you
usually have to work hard to make that happen.  People who do such a
peculiar thing had better know how to cope with it.  Therefore, what
insert-file does in that case is not very important.

We should not base any major decisions on what happens in that obscure
case.  Rather, we should do the right thing for the ordinary
reasonable case, then cope with the two-buffers-same-file case as
necessary.

       > KFS suggested offering to insert the buffer.  That is a good idea
       > provided the questions asked seem natural and not inconvenient.

    Which buffer? The first one we find is editing that file? There can be
    many of them...

Pick one of them.  It doesn't matter how.