Re: new awk-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: new awk-mode
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 20:12:21 -0400

> > I'm confused.  Is that the version that is intended to be cc-awk.el
> > (i.e. part of CC-mode) that someone was working on ?
>
> No.  As far as I can see, it's the same as the `old' awk-mode, except
> with lots of menus added.
>
> Most of the menu entries seem to actually be `documentation,' where each
> menu entry label contains a short summary of a function or variable's
> usage, and selecting it inserts the summary as a sort of `template'.

I hope it uses `define-skeleton' to define those templates.

> I'm not entirely sure if the menus are the best place for all this info,
> but it might be handy (I'm forever browsing the manual whenever I write
> an awk program).
>
> There are other small changes too, but they _seem_ to actually be
> reversions, possibly because he based his code on an older copy of
> awk-mode.el than is in CVS (it's hard to tell because he sent the whole
> file instead of a patch).

Then he should probably get in touch with Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
so they can work together (Alan has been working on integrating awk-mode
into CC-mode to get an awk-specific indentation algorithm rather than
use the c-mode indentation which is all too often wrong).

        Stefan