Re: kill ring menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 08 May 2002 15:50:32 +0900

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> Miles: You objected to putting special text properties on the buffer
> text, and then fontifying on them later, correct?  Unfortunately this
> is the only way I can think of to implement fontification for special
> buffers, such that typing M-x font-lock-mode will always do the Right
> Thing.

First of all, I think you're being overly aggressive about all this --
the status quo is _not a problem_.  The mailing lists are not
overflowing with bug reports about this issue, and I have yet to hear a
single clamor.

If we decide to adopt a generalized font-lock user interface, and it
satisfies all the objections made, it really doesn't matter if some
special modes take a while to be adapted to it.  More consistency is
usually a good thing, especially when it's easy to do, but there's
really no need for immediate 100% coverage in this case.

For special modes that add currently add face properties to directly the
buffer, and which might have a hard time implementing an on-demand
`font-lock-refontify-function' (perhaps they don't maintain enough
context), why not just add a variable that tells the redisplay engine to
ignore face properties for the buffer (it should probably keep paying
attention to overlays)?  That'd make the whole thing trivial in many
cases.

-Miles
--
Would you like fries with that?