Re: RMAIL doesn't always recognize rmail-mime-charset-pattern

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: RMAIL doesn't always recognize rmail-mime-charset-pattern
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 08:47:55 -0600 (MDT)

    Handa-san, can you tell why does the Babyl branch of
    rmail-convert-to-babyl-format use decode-coding-region without ever
    looking at the charset= header?  It sounds like a bug, since movemail
    uses that format.

Just the opposite--it is right for Rmail to read a Babyl file this way,
since they are supposed to be saved as a whole using a single coding system.
The bug is in movemail.  If it is to produce a Babyl file, it has to
handle the decoding.  That, however, is not practical.
It seems clear that movemail should not convert to Babyl format.

We are changing Rmail to get rid of Babyl format entirely; when that
change is installed, we will need movemail to output inbox format.  It
sounds like we should make this change now, so as to fix the current
bug.

Does anyone want to do it?