Re: Lowercase text after full stop on describe-variable

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Lowercase text after full stop on describe-variable
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:37:26 +0200

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:20:17 -0400, "Stefan Monnier"
<monnier+gnu/address@hidden> wrote:

> Not that I can see apart from the fact that caddr is not defined
> unless you (require 'cl).  Feel free to install it

Ok, I have a patch using `nth' instead.

WRT the upper/lower-case issue, what should I do with variables or
functions which have a NEW string (as opossed to a NEW function/variable)
starting with lowercase, not ending with a stop, or otherwise
non-normalized? Normalize them?

Currently they are:

- Variables:
  inhibit-local-variables
  unread-command-char
  unread-command-event
  before-change-function
  after-change-function
  post-command-idle-hook
  post-command-idle-delay

- Functions:
  frame-update-faces (no stop)
  char-bytes (no stop)
  baud-rate
  string-to-sequence (no stop)

`move-to-column-force' (from rect.el) is an exception because its
docstring already says that the function is obsolete, and the
make-obsolete declaration is wrong (it is passing as a NEW a string
instead of a symbol, but the string is just the name of a function).

So, what I propose is:

 1.- Installing the patch so describe-function shows the obsolescent
information too like describe-variable does now.
 2.- Changing the "not documented" strings from those functions and
`describe-face' to "Not documented".
 3.- Normalizing the NEW strings currently passed to `make-obsolete' and
`make-obsolete-variable'.
 4.- Remove the obsolescence information from `move-to-column-force's
docstring and fixing its make-obsolete declaration.

It is OK to proceed?

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u