Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:31:19 -0500 (CDT)

   I haven't seen any evidence for the need of such a thing.
   The only cases I've seen where my patch is useful is when you want
   turn a feature on globally but turn it off at a few places.
   Global customizations normally occur before buffers are created, so
   before the (remove-hook 'foo 'bar 'local) has even a chance of
   being run.
   If you could show me something more concrete, I might better
   understand
   your concern.

OK.  Here is an ielm run:

*** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
ELISP> (default-value 'comint-output-filter-functions)
(comint-carriage-motion comint-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom)

ELISP> (default-value 'comint-output-filter-functions)
(ansi-color-process-output comint-carriage-motion
comint-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom)

ELISP>

What happened between line one and line two?
I looked at the following documentation.
Note: I definitely only looked at it, I was careful not to customize
anything.  To no avail.  Things like this happen all the time for the
reasons I outlined in my previous message.

Ansi Color For Comint Mode: Hide Value Menu Do nothing
   State: this option is unchanged from its standard setting.
Determines what to do with comint output. Hide
If nil, do nothing.
If the symbol `filter', then filter all SGR control sequences.
If anything else (such as t), then translate SGR control sequences
into text-properties.

In order for this to have any effect, `ansi-color-process-output' must
be in `comint-output-filter-functions'.

This can be used to enable colorized ls --color=yes output
in shell buffers.  You set this variable by calling one of:
M-x ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on
M-x ansi-color-for-comint-mode-off
M-x ansi-color-for-comint-mode-filter

\- Ansi Colors group end