Re: Reporting UTF-8 related problems?

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Reporting UTF-8 related problems?
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:18:26 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>>  From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
>>  Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:14:35 +0200
>>
>>  Cut-and-paste via X selection shows issues.
>>
>>  Visit http://www.textkritik.de/bka/dokumente/dok_k/koepke1.htm with
>>  lynx runing in an UTF-8 xterm (the page is in German).

> The telltale ESC % sequence is the beginning of the ``extended
> segment'' in ICCCM parlance.  Emacs doesn't currently support UTF-8
> in the extended segments, but adding that support should be easy, I'd
> think.  See ctext-post-read-conversion and ctext-pre-write-conversion
> defined on mule.el.

The reported escape sequence is "ESC % G ... ESC % @" which
is not the extended segments of CTEXT (described in the
section 6 of the ctext document), but the special sequence
for utf-8 (described in the newly inserted section 7 of the
ctext document distributed with XFree86, I'll attach it).

I've just commited a change to ctext-post-read-conversion
(in mule.el).  Could you please try it?  Eli, could you also
check my change?

> Doing the same from the Gnome web browser Galeon results in

>     ?Die Familie Schroffenstein?

> (literal question marks instead of Unicode quotes).  BTW, there is no
> problem to paste from Galeon into an UTF-8 xterm.

I tried the latest Galeon.  It sends Emacs the same byte
sequence as what lynx does.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden