Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: please consider emacs-unicode for pervasive changes
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:30:28 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:
> True, but I'm concerned about stepping on toes in "their" development
> branch.  If the people "in charge of" the unicode branch say yes, they
> want all these changes, okay, I can do it.

> But they haven't said that.  Dave asked for the unicode branch to be
> considered for pervasive changes, but said, "I don't know if handa
> would like to be consulted beforehand".  I haven't seen any email from
> handa on this, so I won't take this as a go-ahead yet, either in
> general or for the specific changes I've made recently. I sent both
> of them email a couple weeks ago showing the string-macro changes as
> they would apply to the unicode branch (as it was at that time),
> asking if they wanted them applied, but I'm still waiting to hear
> back.

I'm very sorry for not reacting on this matter more quickly.
I've been busy for the other matters.  Could you please
apply any necessary changes to the unicode branch?   As I'm
currently working on the HEAD trunk of Emacs, I don't have a
time to work on emacs-unicode.  So, now is the good timing
for applying big changes to the unicode branch.

> I'd gotten the impression from email a while ago that it wasn't ready
> for daily use, but maybe that's changed.  I don't want to be
> developing solely on a branch I can't effectively test.

The biggest problems for daily use are perhaps gnus and
rmail.  Dave said that he was working on rmail now.

Proper settings of coding-systems and character set
priorities for each language environment is also not yet
finished.

For the other operations, I think emacs-unicode now works
fairly well.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden