Re: IRC client for Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: IRC client for Emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:33:32 -0600 (MDT)

        * it's another special-purpose API

We will certainly make a special-purpose Lisp interface
for this important job.

        * Since the data is plain text, you either have to read the whole file
          into memory to scan for the relevant data, or else generate a
          separate index file.

Perhaps we want to have all the data in core--both the "original"
strings, and whichever set or sets of translations are actually in
use.  The method that was presented, with a symbol per message,
effectively does this, but does it in a rather inefficient way.

The program that Daiki <address@hidden> sent also seems to create
a symbol for each string.  I am not certain, though, because
it has very few comments.

Daiki, could you see if it runs fast enough if you store the
message catalog as a simple alist?

It might even be fast enough to store the message catalog as text in a
buffer--and that would use up much less space.