Re: Sesquicolon -- Note: Not a Bug

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Sesquicolon -- Note: Not a Bug
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:26:03 -0600 (MDT)

    For the languages other than Emacs Lisp, we use the shebang, "#!", as
    the first two characters of our scripts; but since Emacs requires more
    than two arguments to load and run a script in batch mode, I use the
    sesquicolon, ":;", for Emacs.

;; would work if you feed the script manually as input to Bash.
However, the special thing about #! is that exec recognizes it.
exec won't recognize ;;.

I wonder if there is a way we could change Emacs so that it could run
properly with #!.  Here's an idea that might work: suppose that when
Emacs's stdin is a file, but there is no -batch option, it
automatically starts in batch mode and loads $0.  WIth that change,
maybe #!/usr/bin/emacs could work.

What do people think?