Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 21:42:53 -0500 (CDT)

Steven T. Hatton wrote:

   So, if I do have a *specific*
   question, it is, where to I find the 'how to install packages, gospel,
   accoring to the pros'?  Perhaps you've answered this by telling me to
   look at the documentation for each package.

I gave you a completely general answer to a completely general
question.  I believe that, for certain specific specialized packages,
you have to do look at the documentation for those packages.  Some
packages are of such a nature that they are extremely unlikely to be
used by "newbies" anyway.  For the most often used packages,
especially those most often used by newbies, the customize facility
provides a simpler alternative to the ".emacs solution". Try Customize
Emacs under Options on the menu-bar, for instance.

I gave you specific answers to your specific questions.  I pointed out
which of the difficulties you encountered were misconceptions on your
part and which ones were bugs in emacs-21.3.50.

However, I am not going to discuss the very general philosophical
issues you raised.  I am just an "ordinary subscriber" to this list
and not an "official spokesperson" for Emacs.

Sincerely,

Luc.