Re: suggested new command `picture-mouse-set-point'

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: suggested new command `picture-mouse-set-point'
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 00:18:29 +0100

> > Maybe there could be a `mouse-set-point-function' variable that would
> > be funcalled where `mouse-set-point' is presently called directly, or
> > `mouse-set-point' could call `mouse-set-point-rigidly' iff
> > `mouse-set-point-rigidly' variable was non-nil, or something like
> > that?
>
> It seems ok to control this behaviuor through a variable, but should it
> be a customization option, or just intended for e.g. let bindings or
> buffer-local (or mode-specific) setting?

Maybe we need a user-option expressing a general preference and a
programmatic variable that can be programmatically bound or set after
it is made a local-variable?

> One problem with this approach is that quite often you just need to
> click on some window to select another window or give focus to a frame
> -- and in that case you most likely don't want to modify the buffer if
> you accidentally click or a TAB or after EOL or EOB.
>
> Maybe the -rigidly functionality should only be activated if
> the mouse is clicked in the selected window & frame.

I agree that is a problem, and your solution sounds good (or at least
the right sort of idea; I haven't tested it).

--
John Paul Wallington