Re: Bold by moving pixels problem

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Bold by moving pixels problem
Date: 19 Dec 2002 21:25:49 +0900

BTW, there's another possibility, which might be better than either the
`macro' or `plist' approaches --

A while back I toyed with the idea of using face-vectors as `anonymous'
faces, since it's often a pain to have to name a face.

On reason I didn't really do anything was that I figured there are
probably places, in the redisplay code especially, which wouldn't work
well without a named face (though at the time I wanted to make
anonymous faces to inherit from, which should work fine).

However, in many places, it's trival -- in particular
`internal-get-lisp-face-attribute' and `internal-set-lisp-face-attribute',
since they use vectors internally and just translate the face-symbol into a
vector at their start (the latter function would require a bit more tweaking,
but as far as I could see, it's still fair to call it `trivial').

Now if those two functions were changed to allow `anonymous' faces (face
vectors), then such functions as `face-attribute', `set-face-attribute',
`make-face-bold', etc., would all start working on face-vectors too!

That way, functions in realize-face-filter-functions could still accept face-
vectors, avoiding the plist translation step, but also use the same familiar
face functions that users already know about; this seems like a huge win to
me...

[p.s. I'd still like to also allow anonymous faces in more places, but that's
a separate issue]

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen