Re: signal handling bogosities

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: signal handling bogosities
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 00:42:28 +0100

>     In fact I find it confusing (as a user) that it updates mouse-faces almost
>     always, but most things only when it's `ready'.
>
> Emacs won't let you *change* text in the buffer until it is `ready',
> and of course they don't update until they change.  By contrast, the
> locus of mouse highlighting does change, whenever you move the mouse.

True, but the question is "What for?"  Here is my interpretation:  The
point of highlighting certain areas when the mouse pointer is over
that particular area is to convey some information.  Usually the
information is "Use the second mouse button to do something".  But in
this case the user cannot click the second mouse button to do
something.  Emacs is already doing something else.  So in this
particular case, the information conveyed is wrong.

I know this just repeats what others have said, but I just wanted to
prevent that Miles' (?) argument is discarded just because he used the
wording "updates mouse-faces".

Alex.