Re: Make call-process (and start-process?) filename handlers?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Make call-process (and start-process?) filename handlers?
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:33:56 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> That will make M-x compile, VC, M-x gdb, and much more behave correctly
> on remote files.

Richard, do you think it would be useful for me to go through the
Emacs sources to see where call-process is called and to figure out
whether that call breaks if done remotely?

I'm not as sure as Stefan that just changing call-process *will* make
all these commands grok remote files.  But there is a pretty good
chance that they do, and I guess it would be easy enough to fix them.

But in the end, it's not a big problem: just implement another
function that's just like call-process, except that it invokes a
filename handler based on default-directory.  And then, various
pieces of Lisp can be converted from the existing call-process to the
new function ;-)
--
Ambibibentists unite!