Re: [Psgml-devel] Re: Key sequence C-c C-f C-e uses invalid prefix chara

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Psgml-devel] Re: Key sequence C-c C-f C-e uses invalid prefix characters
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:10:25 -0500

> > Last I heard (and that was before Dave's patches were incorporated),
> > PSGML did not deal well at all with the situation where the DTD is
> > unknown, which happens to be the standard case for me.  This is
> > why I spent some time improving sgml-mode.
> > I believe that Dave's patches do bring PSGML to the point where it
> > is about as good as sgml-mode when editing text without DTD, so maybe
> > it is now good enough to replace sgml-mode.
>
> I must agree with Peter Flynn and question whether Emacs' default
> *sgml*-mode be one that functions /a priori/ without a DTD.  It's almost
> a contradiction in terms.

Maybe it's a contradiction in terms for you, but as I said, it's the standard
case for me.  The DTD exists, but I simply don't have it.
And I really mean SGML, not just XML.
The fact that sgml-mode doesn't even try to use a DTD is not a feature.
But the fact that it tries to be useful even in the absence of a DTD is.
Based on Dave's comments, I gather that psgml-mode now has a more
"graceful degradation" when the DTD is missing, so this might all
be a non-issue.

        Stefan