Re: dired doesn't work properly with a multibyte locale

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: dired doesn't work properly with a multibyte locale
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 06:56:20 -0500

    It doesn't seem simple to get the byte offset information, so perhaps the
    best thing to do is simply not use --dired if `file-name-coding-system' is
    a multibyte encoding.

For the moment, this may be the best we can do.  But that means the other bugs
that --dired was meant to fix come back.  For the longer term, we need
a way to make --dired work properly with multibyte decoding in Emacs.

One idea is that decoding could optionally keep a record of every
place it changes the length of text.  Most of the time, this optional
feature would be turned off, but dired would turn it on.  The output
would be a list of elements of the form (POS . CHANGE) where POS is
the buffer position (or perhaps, position relative to the start of the
input), and CHANGE would be the change in size of the text at that
place.  With all this information, it would be straightforward
to correct all the information provided by --dired.

Handa, do you think this would be feasible?